It is that time of year again when weather patterns bring the potential for high wind and rain events.
Here are some practical tips to help you and your family prepare for Northwest Storm Season.
BEFORE THE WINDSTORM
- Assemble a disaster supply kit, and/or check that your supplies are in good working order.
- Don't forget car kits in case you find yourself in dangerous driving conditions!
- Test run your generator and top off your supply of gas. Check out King County's video on safely hooking up your generator.
- Secure outdoor items like patio furniture and garbage cans.
- Switch electric garage door openers to manual.
- Clear any nearby storm drains of debris to help prevent local flooding.
DURING THE WINDSTORM
- Stay indoors - on lower floors if possible.
- Stay away from windows and close blinds and drapes.
- Follow local news and emergency alerts for latest updates.
- Sign up for text or email alerts from your local city or Alert King County
- Prevent carbon-monoxide poisoning - never use gas ovens, ranges, BBQs or propane heaters for indoor heating
- Operate generators outdoors only, far from open windows and vents
IF OUTDOORS: Stay clear of downed power lines and trees! Assume all power lines are energized.
Report downed lines to PSE immediately - call 1 (888) 225-5773.
AFTER THE WINDSTORM
- Check yourself and others for injuries.
- Provide assistance to neighbors and others nearby.
- Evacuate damaged buildings. Do not enter damaged buildings.
- If you smell gas or hear hissing sounds indoors: open windows, leave the building and shut off the gas. Report gas leaks immediately to PSE - call (888) 225-5773, or call 911.
- Monitor the radio for official notices.
- If the power has gone out: keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
FOR LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCIES: Call 911
TO REPORT POWER OUTAGES, DOWNED POWER LINES AND GAS LEAKS:
- Call Puget Sound Energy: (888) 225-5773
- Report and track online with PSE online outage map
TO REPORT FLOODED STORM DRAINS: Contact your city stormwater division
- Bothell: (425) 486-2768
- Kenmore: (425) 398-8900
- Kirkland: (425) 587-3900
- Lake Forest Park: (206) 368-5440
- Woodinville: (425) 489-2700