Email: Commissioner Ellis
Besides a lifetime of public service and experience in the financial services industry, Don has always been interested in public sector risk management. He worked to form the Washington Water and Sewer Risk Management Pool and chaired its first Executive Board. He was re-elected to Board years later when that organization faced a financial crisis. Don has the longest tenure on the Northshore Utility District Board of Commissioners. He has represented the District in various inter-agency source development projects.
- Chair (mayor-appointed) Seattle Water Department Purveyor Rate Committee
- Chair of the Water and Sewer Risk Management Pool formation group
- Chair of the Executive Board -- Water and Sewer Risk Management Pool
- Chair (current) of the Executive Committee of the Snohomish River -- Regional Water Authority
- Current Chair and Commissioner Northshore Utility District for 31 consecutive years
- Served (often as Chair) on numerous Seattle Purveyor Committees
- Served as voting member on Seattle Water Rate Committees
- Voting member North Fork Snoqualmie Dam project
- Voting member Seattle Purveyors Contract Committee
- Search Committee member (mayor-appointed) for Seattle Water Department Superintendent
- Board of Directors of the Washington Government Entity Pool since 1998
- Commissioners of King County Fire District No. 16 since 1987
- Thirty-five years of experience in the financial services industry
- A Certified Fraud Examiner
- B. S. University of Washington
- Post-graduate work at University of Washington and McGill University
- Certificates from various risk-management courses by the American Institute of Insurance including courses on risk management and property and liability insurance
- Certificate program in "Harassment Investigation"
Email: Commissioner Gardiner
Utility Local Improvement District No. 81 brought sanitary sewer service to the Upper Denny Park area in 1992. Bruce Gardiner was among the homeowners involved in the ULID process. The public meetings he attended stirred his interest in the operations of the District. In his view, the office of Commissioner is the perfect opportunity for service to the local community.
Bruce was born in the Puget Sound area. His grandparents originally moved to live on Lake Washington 85 years ago. The son of a naval officer, he lived all over the country for much of his younger days. As an adult, Bruce found himself attracted to his birthplace. In 1968, the Gardiners moved back to the area. Bruce has a law office in Juanita. He practices mainly in the area of real estate, business, and copyright and trademark law. His wife, K.K., is a laboratory technician. They have two grown sons with families of their own.
Email: Commissioner Peterson
Robert Peterson comes from the San Francisco area. Robert joined the Fire Department in Corte Madera, California, in 1972. In 1983, he moved to the Renton area where he became the Fire Chief of King County Fire District No. 40. He then returned to California as the Deputy Fire Chief of the City of Santa Rosa where he started his family with his wife, Thea. In 1995, Robert retired from Santa Rosa Fire Department and returned to Washington to become the Deputy Chief of the Northshore Fire Department. Within five years, he became the Fire Chief of Northshore Fire Department until his retirement in 2005.
Robert has two daughters, both of which have attended Moorlands Elementary, Northshore Junior High and Inglemoor High school. His wife, Thea, is well known in the schools for having contributed to their art programs, particularly at Moorlands.
Robert has been active in the community participating as a soccer coach, FCA team representative, basketball coach and formerly as a member of Rotary in both Lake Forest Park and Northshore.
Email: Commissioner Rolla
Serving as a Board member since 1994, Trudy also attends the Seattle Public Utilities Water System Operating Board. She is on the NUD Emergency Preparedness, Community Outreach and Comprehensive Plan committees.
A native of Seattle, Commissioner Rolla holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Health from the University of Washington and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Puget Sound. She retired September 2013 from her position as a Senior Environmental Health Specialist in the Environmental Health Division of Public Health - Seattle and King County. There, she spent twelve years in the small drinking water system and ground water management planning programs. She also worked ten years in the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program of King County conducting program evaluation.
Ms. Rolla has been a member of the Washington State Environmental Health Association since 1982 where she served as Treasurer and a Regional Vice President. She was also a member of the National Environmental Health Association, and served three years as the Region 1 Vice President.
Email: Commissioner Breysse
Born and raised in Seattle, Matt and his wife Sheila have called Bothell home for over 27 years, raising both of their daughters here. A veteran teacher, Matt earned his Bachelor of Arts and Masters in Administration from Western Washington University, and a teaching certification from Seattle Pacific University. Currently, he teaches history at Juanita High School.
Matt’s commitment to public service led him to apply for the role of commissioner. As commissioner, he will work to ensure the District continues to emphasize sustainability, environmental stewardship and accountability in its operating practices. On behalf of our customers, he intends to help protect the District’s safe, reliable, and low-cost water and sewer services.
Commissioner Breysse will serve through November 2017 in the appointed position, which was vacated in August by the passing of late Commissioner Margaret Wiggins. He will then stand for election to serve the remainder of the term through 2021.
Current Board members and their respective terms of office are:
|1||Trudy C. Rolla
|2||Robert Peterson||Nov-05-13||Dec 2019|
|3||Matt Breysse - Secretary||Appointed
|4||D. Bruce Gardiner
|5||Don Ellis - President||Nov-05-13||Dec 2019|